Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Debbie Downer is Looking Up

So I think I've become a bit of a "Debbie Downer." This is odd because I actually have a very outgoing personality. But get me started on something I can complain about and I will go on forever. And these negative thoughts just DRAG ME DOWN! Let me give you some background: I used to live in a large city and I worked in the arts. I was a bit of a party girl. Then my WONDERFUL husband got a job - a job he LOVES - and we moved. We landed in a small town in the south and I feel a bit lost. It's been almost six years and in those years I've had two kids and been able to stay at home with them. And I know that I am LUCKY to have this. I am thankful for it. But I've gotten stuck in the past, on how I used to perceive myself and I haven't figured out how to live in the now and fully enjoy what I do have. So here's what I am proposing to myself. To stop complaining. To record a simple joy a day. To find beauty and share it. Okay, so I live in a small town in the south and it's not a hip, big city. Okay, so I no longer have an exciting career where I get to meet interesting people and create. But I do get to live in a beautiful part of the country and watch leaves change color. And I get to see my kids grow everyday. And that in itself should make me filled to the brim with joy, right? Well, here's my first joy to share. This morning my son, Dexter, and I took a walk in the park. It was cool, quiet, the leaves are changing, and I watched my son discover all kinds of new things in nature. And I was filled with joy.

What have you found joy in today?

No comments:

Post a Comment